Material Advantage (MA) is the premier national organization for students in materials science and engineering. The local MA chapter at NCSU has a strong focus on providing current students with materials-related career and professional development opportunities, and it benefits from its location in the Research Triangle and from a strong alumni base.
The annual membership fee is $30
Benefits of Joining MA include:
- eligibility to apply for scholarships only available to MA members
- membership to all four partner organizations- TMS, ASM, ACerS, AIST
- eligibility for research funding and conference travel grants
- a monthly magazine subscriptions from ASM, AIST, and other venues
- support of the NCSU chapter through your membership fee
- leadership opportunities as a MA officer
The NCSU chapter typically meets in the evening twice per month during the semester; meeting dates can be found in MSE emails sent by Ms. Edna Deas, in the MSE Newsletter, and in flyers posted around EB1. Examples of previous activities planned by the MA officers include a research symposium, a graduate student panel, company visits by ATI Specialty Materials, Lord Corporation, AkzoNobel, Paragon Polymer Consulting, AdTech Ceramics, Duke Energy, Eastman Chemical Company, and others, a resume and career fair preparation workshop, community outreach and volunteer opportunities at local schools, and Materials Day, which is the chapter’s opportunity to showcase the MSE department and discipline through fun, scientific activities.
Current Material Advantage Officers
Katie Ledbetter, Chair (email@example.com)
John McGarrahan, Vice-Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thomas Avey, Treasurer (email@example.com)
Ellie Scott, Recording Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Addison Callan, PR Chair (email@example.com)