- Engineering Building I (EB1) 3072B
Dr. Jacob Jones is a Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Director and Principal Investigator of the Research Triangle Nanotechnology Network (www.rtnn.org), Director of the Analytical Instrumentation Facility (www.aif.ncsu.edu), and a University Faculty Scholar.
Jones research interests involve developing structure-property-processing relationships in emerging functional materials, primarily through the use of advanced X-ray and neutron scattering tools. Jones has published over 200 papers and delivered over 100 invited lectures on these topics since 2004. Jones is a Fellow of the American Ceramic Society and has received numerous awards for his research and education activities, including an NSF CAREER award, a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), the IEEE Ferroelectrics Young Investigator Award, a National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Defense Program Award of Excellence, a UF-HHMI Science for Life Distinguished Mentor Award for his mentoring of undergraduate researchers, and two Edward C. Henry “Best Paper” awards from the Electronics Division of the American Ceramic Society. Jones is active in the IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control (UFFC) Society and the American Ceramic Society.
Dr. Jones is known for promoting international science and engineering initiatives. He has been Principal Investigator on three NSF awards to provide international research experiences to U.S. students at foreign research laboratories. Using these programs, Jones has enabled over 50 U.S. students to obtain international research experiences overseas and has hosted a multitude of foreign students at U.S. institutions. Since 2012, he has been a Senior Visiting Fellow in the School of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of New South Wales. At NC State, he is engaged in the University Global Partnership Network (UGPN) and promotes interactions with the University of Surrey in the U.K. and the University of Wollongong in Australia. In recognition of his international activities, Jones received the International Educator of the Year award (Senior Faculty Awardee) from the University of Florida International Center in 2012.
Jones received his PhD from Purdue University in 2004, after which he completed an international postdoctoral fellowship from the National Science Foundation at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney, Australia. He was an Assistant and Associate Professor in the Department of MSE at the University of Florida from 2006-2013 and joined NC State in August of 2013.
Dr. Jones’ research interests include functional materials such as piezoelectric and ferroelectric materials, nanomaterials, mechanics of materials, and promotion of international science and engineering.
Visit the Jones Research Group website at https://www.mse.ncsu.edu/jones.
- Effect of mechanical depoling on piezoelectric properties of Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3-xBaTiO(3) in the morphotropic phase boundary region
- Denis, L. M., Glaum, J., Hoffman, M., Daniels, J. E., Hooper, R. J., Tutuncu, G., Forrester, J. S., & Jones, J. L. (2018), Journal of Materials Science, 53(3), 1672-1679.
- Few-layered metallic 1T-MoS2/TiO2 with exposed (001) facets: two-dimensional nanocomposites for enhanced photocatalytic activities
- Han, H., Kim, K. M., Lee, C. W., Lee, C. S., Pawar, R. C., Jones, J. L., Hong, Y. R., Ryu, J. H., Song, T., Kang, S. H., Choi, H., & Mhin, S. (2017), Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19(41), 28207-28215.
- Si doped hafnium oxide-a "fragile" ferroelectric system
- Richter, C., Schenk, T., Park, M. H., Tscharntke, F. A., Grimley, E. D., LeBeau, J. M., Zhou, C. Z., Fancher, C. M., Jones, J. L., Mikolajick, T., & Schroeder, U. (2017), Advanced Electronic Materials, 3(10).
- Investigating Pb diffusion across buried interfaces in Pb(Zr0.2Ti0.8)O-3 thin films via time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry depth profiling
- Mangum, J. S., Podowitz-Thomas, S., Nikkel, J., Zhou, C. Z., & Jones, J. L. (2017), Surface and Interface Analysis, 49(10), 973-977.
- Grain orientation effects on the ionic conductivity of neodymia doped ceria thin films
- Baure, G., Zhou, H. H., Chung, C. C., Stozhkova, M. A., Jones, J. L., & Nino, J. C. (2017), Acta Materialia, 133, 81-89.
- Extrinsic contributions to piezoelectric Rayleigh behavior in morphotropic PbTiO3 - SiScO3
- Tutuncu, G., Forrester, J. S., Chen, J., & Jones, J. L. (2017), Acta Materialia, 137, 45-53.
- Time and frequency-dependence of the electric field-induced phase transition in BaTiO3-BiZn1/2Ti1/2O3
- Iamsasri, T., Esteves, G., Choe, H., Vogt, M., Prasertpalichat, S., Cann, D. P., Gorfman, S., & Jones, J. L. (2017), Journal of Applied Physics, 122(6).
- Temperature-induced local and average structural changes in BaTiO3-xBi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O-3 solid solutions: The origin of high temperature dielectric permittivity
- Hou, D., Usher, T. M., Zhou, H. H., Raengthon, N., Triamnak, N., Cann, D. P., Forrester, J. S., & Jones, J. L. (2017), Journal of Applied Physics, 122(6).
- Electric field dependent local structure of (KxNa1-x)(0.5)Bi0.5TiO3
- Goetzee-Barral, A. J., Usher, T. M., Stevenson, T. J., Jones, J. L., Levin, I., Brown, A. P., & Bell, A. J. (2017), Physical Review B, 96(1).
- Electric-field-induced structural changes in multilayer piezoelectric actuators during electrical and mechanical loading
- Esteves, G., Fancher, C. M., Rohrig, S., Maier, G. A., Jones, J. L., & Deluca, M. (2017), Acta Materialia, 132, 96-105.