Professor and Graduate Distance Education Coordinator
- Engineering Building I (EB1) 3051
- View CV
Maury Balik joined the NCSU faculty in 1982 after a year of post-doctoral research in the Dept. of Macromolecular Science at Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Balik’s research group is generally concerned with the chemical and physical structure of polymeric materials and its relationship to polymer properties. A major area of emphasis is the sorption and diffusion of small molecules through polymers. They are studying those aspects of polymer structure which influence sorption and diffusion of small molecules, and are using those measurements as an indirect probe of polymer structure. Other areas of research with which they have recently been involved include polymer-cyclodextrin inclusion compounds, use of FTIR-ATR to measure real-time diffusion of liquids and liquid mixtures in polymers, RF plasma modification of polymer surfaces, mechanical alloying of polymers, and characterization of novel ROMP polymers.
Case Western Reserve University
Case Western Reserve University
Chemical Engineering and Mathematics
Grove City College
Current research involves measuring the solubility and diffusivity of methyl bromide at various temperatures and pressures in polymeric materials of construction. The motivation for this work comes from the use of methyl bromide to decontaminate large enclosed areas that have been infected with harmful toxicological agents such as Bacillus anthracis spores (anthrax). During the decontamination process, methyl bromide can diffuse into various polymeric materials of construction such as rubber, plastics, carpet fibers, etc. After decontamination, the methyl bromide that has diffused into these materials will remain and slowly diffuse out, possibly presenting a health hazard. This research will provide quantitative information regarding methyl bromide diffusion and solubility that will facilitate an objective assessment of the health risk.
Honors and Awards
- NCSU Outstanding Teacher Award, 1986
- NCSU Outstanding Advisor Award, 1999
- Compatibilization of polystyrene/poly(dimethyl siloxane) solutions with star polymers containing a gamma-cyclodextrin core and polystyrene arms
- Busche, B. J., Tonelli, A. E., & Balik, C. M. (2010), Polymer, 51(2), 454–462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2009.11.069
- Properties of polystyrene/poly(dimethyl siloxane) blends partially compatibilized with star polymers containing a gamma-cyclodextrin core and polystyrene arms
- Busche, B. J., Tonelli, A. E., & Balik, C. M. (2010), Polymer, 51(25), 6013–6020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2010.10.024
- The effect of water and guest hydrophobicity on the complexation of oligomers with solid alpha-cyclodextrin
- Hunt, M. A., Tonelli, A. E., & Balik, C. M. (2008), Polymer, 49(4), 985–991. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2008.01.007
- Characterization of titanium alkoxide sol-gel systems designed for anti-icing coatings: I. Chemistry
- Ayres, J., Simendinger, W. H., & Balik, C. M. (2007), Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 4(4), 463–471. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-007-9054-8
- Characterization of titanium alkoxide sol-gel systems designed for anti-icing coatings: II. Mass loss kinetics
- Ayres, J., Simendinger, W. H., & Balik, C. M. (2007), Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 4(4), 473–481. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-007-9055-7
- Formation of crystalline inclusion compounds of poly (vinyl chloride) of different stereoregularity with gamma-cyclodextrin
- Martinez, G., Gomez, M. A., Villar-Rodil, S., Garrido, L., Tonelli, A. E., & Balik, C. M. (2007), Journal of Polymer Science. Part A, Polymer Chemistry, 45(12), 2503–2513. https://doi.org/10.1002/pola.22014
- The effect of guest hydrophobicity on the water sorption behavior of oligomer-a-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes
- Tonelli, A. E., Hunt, M. A., & Balik, C. M. (2007), Journal of Physical Chemistry. B, Condensed Matter, Materials, Surfaces, Interfaces & Biophysical, 111(15), 3853. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp070145t
- The effect of water on the solid-state complexation of oligomers with a?cyclodextrin
- Tonelli, A. E., Hunt, M. A., & Balik, C. M. (2007), Macromolecules, 40.
- The nano-threading of polymers
- Rusa, C. C., Rusa, M., Peet, J., Uyar, T., Fox, J., Hunt, M. A., … Tonelli, A. E. (2006), Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, 55(1-2), 185–192. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10847-005-9038-1
- Effects of preparation procedure and electric field frequency on the dielectric constants and electrorheology of a zeolite/silicone oil suspension
- McNeish, D., Jung, K., Balik, C. M., & Conrad, H. (2005), International Journal of Modern Physics. B, Condensed Matter Physics, Statistical Physics, Applied Physics, 19(38542), 1191–1197.