MSE Spotlights Senior Kaitlyn

By Niki Jennings, MSE Communications Specialist

Kaitlyn Khachadoorian

Kaitlyn Khachadoorian of Shelton, Connecticut, is a fourth-year undergraduate senior majoring in materials science and engineering. Kaitlyn knew she wanted to study engineering, but was unsure of which discipline. “The E102 course opened my eyes to the endless opportunities of materials science,” says Kaitlyn. “I was drawn to MSE because it seemed extremely diverse, meaning I could do lots of different things with an MSE degree.” Another advantage Kaitlyn saw in the department was its size: “I also loved that it was a smaller department with really kind and helpful faculty and students.” 

In 2021 and 2020, Kaitlyn was an ASML Defectivity Design Engineering Intern and worked on minimizing photomask particle contamination in the semiconductor industry. This internship led to a job offer, and after her spring 2022 graduation, Kaitlyn will work at ASML as a Defectivity Design Engineer, with her role focusing on resolving critical particle contamination issues through materials analysis and root cause finding. 

Kaitlyn has a number of favorite MSE classes and instructors. “I have loved all of my MSE professors and classes, so it is hard to choose,” shares Kaitlyn. “But my top three favorites are MSE 301 with Dr. Irving, MSE 420 with Dr. Jones, and MSE 460 with Dr. So. I also enjoyed my senior design group and coastal science project with Dr. Gao.” 

MSE seniors Kaitlyn Khachadoorian and Eric Knowles (in red) at the 2022 Scholar Athlete Ceremony

In addition to her rigorous coursework, Kaitlyn is active in engineering-centered groups NAE Grand Challenge Scholars with a focus on the 14 Grand Challenges of Engineering. Kaitlyn is also the President of the NC State chapter of Materials Advantage, which is a student program that provides access to the materials science and engineering professional’s most preeminent societies. In this role, advised by Dr. Gupta, Kaitlyn aims to build community among MSE underclassmen and upperclassmen through meetings, panels, tours, workshops, and hosting industry speakers. Previously, Kaitlyn participated in SciBridge as well.

Outside of MSE, Kaitlyn is in the NC State University Ambassadors and University Honors programs and is a proud member of the NC State Cheerleading Team. Kaitlyn was named one of NC State Athletics’ 2022 top 10 Scholar Athletes for maintaining a 4.0 GPA for the past 7 consecutive semesters. Her favorite NC State memory is being among her Cheerleading team at the fall Wolfpack vs. Clemson football game. “It was truly incredible to be on the field for such a monumental game,” says Kaitlyn. “I will never forget that energy filling Carter-Finley as the students stormed the field and stadium with unmatched school spirit and pride, which are so special to the Wolfpack.” And each week, Kaitlyn volunteers with the Cheer team at the Brentwood Boys & Girls Club. 

If you would like to learn more about Kaitlyn, she can be reached on LinkedIn.