Professor and Undergraduate Program Director
Director of Undergraduate Programs
University Faculty Scholar
- Engineering Building I (EB1) 3028B
- Visit My Website
Yaroslava G. Yingling is Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at North Carolina State University. She received her University Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering from St. Petersburg State Technical University of Russia and her PhD in Materials Engineering and High Performance Computing from the Pennsylvania State University in 2002. She carried out postdoctoral research at Penn State University Chemistry Department and at the National Institutes of Health National Cancer Institute prior to joining North Carolina State University in 2007. She serves as a Editor-in-Chief for AIMS Materials Science journal, as an Associate Editor at RNA and DNA Nanotechnology and on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. She received the National Science Foundation CAREER award, American Chemical Society Open Eye Young Investigator Award and was named a NCState University Faculty Scholar.
Materials Engineering and High Performance Computing Applications
Pennsylvania State University
Computer Science and Engineering
St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, Russia
Research interests in Prof. Yingling’s group are focused on the development of advanced computational models and novel algorithms for multiscale molecular modeling of soft and biological materials and aim to provide a fundamental understanding of the structure-property relations of a variety of soft materials systems that are formed through the process of self-assembly. Specifically, Dr. Yingling's research interests include multiscale molecular modeling and computer simulations of soft materials: polymers, biomolecules, nanoparticles, organic-inorganic composites; design and properties of nanomaterials; inorganic-organic interfaces and surfaces; biomolecular 3D structure prediction; effect of solvents and additives on materials properties; interactions between nanoparticles and bio and polymeric materials.
Honors and Awards
- University Faculty Scholar, North Carolina State University, 2014
- OpenEye Outstanding Junior Faculty Award from the ACS Computers in Chemistry (COMP) Division, 2012
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2012
- NIH National Cancer Institute Center for Cancer Research exceptional stipend, 2007
- Best Ph.D. Thesis Award from the Materials Research Institute at Pennsylvania State University, 2003
- Braucher Fellowship for Graduate Student Research , 2002
- Miller Graduate Student Research Award , 2001
- High-Performance Chromatographic Characterization of Surface Chemical Heterogeneities of Fluorescent Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Core-Shell Silica Nanoparticles
- Gardinier, T. C., Kohle, F. F. E., Peerless, J. S., Ma, K., Turker, M. Z., Hinckley, J. A., … Wiesner, U. (2019), ACS NANO, 13(2), 1795–1804. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.8b07876
- Bathophenanthroline Disulfonate Ligand-Induced Self-Assembly of Ir(III) Complexes in Water: An Intriguing Class of Photoluminescent Soft Materials
- McGoorty, M. M., Singh, A., Deaton, T. A., Peterson, B., Taliaferro, C. M., Yingling, Y. G., & Castellano, F. N. (2018), ACS OMEGA, 3(10), 14027–14038. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.8b02034
- Cellulose synthase "class specific regions' are intrinsically disordered and functionally undifferentiated
- Scavuzzo-Duggan, T. R., Chaves, A. M., Singh, A., Sethaphong, L., Slabaugh, E., Yingling, Y. G., … Roberts, A. W. (2018), Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 60(6), 481–497. https://doi.org/10.1111/jipb.12637
- Functional modification of silica through enhanced adsorption of elastin-like polypeptide block copolymers
- Li, L. Y., Li, N. K., Tu, Q., Im, O., Mo, C. K., Han, W., … Lopez, G. P. (2018), Biomacromolecules, 19(2), 298–306.
- Interfacial stability of graphene-based surfaces in water and organic solvents
- Kim, H., Oweida, T. J., & Yingling, Y. G. (2018), Journal of Materials Science, 53(8), 5766–5776.
- Progress in ligand design for monolayer-protected nanoparticles for nanobio interfaces
- Manning, M. D., Kwansa, A. L., Oweida, T., Peerless, J. S., Singh, A., & Yingling, Y. G. (2018), BIOINTERPHASES, 13(6). https://doi.org/10.1116/1.5044381
- Sequence directionality dramatically affects lcst behavior of elastin-like polypeptides
- Li, N. K., Roberts, S., Quiroz, F. G., Chilkoti, A., & Yingling, Y. G. (2018), Biomacromolecules, 19(7), 2496–2505.
- Wrapping nanocellulose nets around graphene oxide sheets
- Xiong, R., Kim, H. S., Zhang, L. J., Korolovych, V. F., Zhang, S. D., Yingling, Y. G., & Tsukruk, V. V. (2018), Angewandte Chemie [International Edition in English], 57(28), 8508–8513.
- Advances in molecular modeling of nanoparticle nucleic acid interfaces
- Nash, J. A., Kwansa, A. L., Peerless, J. S., Kim, H. S., & Yingling, Y. G. (2017), Bioconjugate Chemistry.
- Effect of graphene oxidation rate on adsorption of poly-thymine single stranded DNA
- Kim, H. S., Farmer, B. L., & Yingling, Y. G. (2017), Advanced Materials Interfaces, 4(8).
- Center for Lignocellulose Structure and Formation (CLSF)
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(8/01/18 - 7/31/19)
- NextGen Fellowship â€“ Accelerating Materials Science and Educating theâ€‹ â€‹Nextâ€‹ Generationâ€‹ â€‹ofâ€‹ â€‹Scientistsâ€‹ â€‹andâ€‹ Engineers
- Schmidt Family Foundation(5/01/18 - 9/30/18)
- Heteroaggregation for Nanomanufacturing and Magnetic Alignment of Multifunctional Nanoparticles
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/18 - 5/31/21)
- Collaborative Research: Design Principles for Multi-functional Polymer Dispersion Blends
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/01/17 - 7/31/20)
- Composite Packed-Bed Nanofiltration for High-throughput Desalination
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(9/01/16 - 8/31/17)
- EMN-14-S-S-05 Modeling of Diffusion of Additive Compounds in Rubber
- Eastman Chemical Company(11/30/-1 - 10/31/17)
- Wetting of Patterned Silicon Surfaces
- Eastman Chemical Company(1/01/14 - 8/01/14)
- Center For Lignocellulose Structure and Formation
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(8/01/14 - 7/31/19)
- Confinement, Dynamics, and Orientation of DNA at Nano-interfaces
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(7/01/14 - 6/30/18)
- Collaborative Research: Supramolecular Materials by Nucleic Acid Block Copolymer Self-Assembly
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(7/15/14 - 6/30/18)