Professor and Associate Department Head
Director, Center for Dielectrics and Piezoelectrics
Director, NSF Research Traineeship on Science and Engineering of Atomic Structure
Editor, Journal of the American Ceramic Society
- Engineering Building I (EB1) 3076B
Professor Dickey’s research focuses on developing processing-structure-property relationships for material systems in which the macroscopic physical properties (mechanical, electrical, thermal, etc.) are governed by grain boundaries or internal interfaces. Particular emphasis is placed on understanding the role of grain boundary chemistry on electrical and chemical transport. In addition, she is interested in understanding the role of microstructure and interfaces on the mechanical properties of eutectic ceramic composites, which are being developed for high-temperature and armor applications. Her research involves using an array of analytical techniques, in particular electron microscopy and spectroscopy, to understand the structure and chemistry of internal defects in materials. She has over one hundred fifty peer-reviewed journal publications in these areas with over twelve-thousand citations.
Materials Science and Engineering
University of Kentucky
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Ceramic Society,
- Richard M. Fulrath Award, American Ceramic Society,
- Northwestern University Early Career Achievement Award for Alumni in MSE,
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE),
- Barrier formation at BaTiO3 interfaces with Ni and NiO
- Long, D. M., Klein, A., & Dickey, E. C. (2019), APPLIED SURFACE SCIENCE, 466, 472–476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.10.040
- Cold sintering with dimethyl sulfoxide solutions for metal oxides
- Kang, X., Floyd, R., Lowum, S., Long, D., Dickey, E., & Maria, J.-P. (2019, May), JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-019-03410-1
- Connecting post-pulsing electrical and microstructural features in GeTe-based inline phase change switches
- King, M. R., El-Hinnawy, N., Borodulin, P., Ezis, A., Luu, V., Salmon, M., … Young, R. M. (2018), JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, 124(19). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5031840
- Gradient chemical order in the relaxor Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O-3
- Cabral, M. J., Zhang, S. J., Dickey, E. C., & LeBeau, J. M. (2018), Applied Physics Letters, 112(8).
- Big data meets materials science: Training the future generation
- Dickey, E., & Arthur, G. (2017), American Ceramic Society Bulletin, 96(6), 40–44.
- Cold sintering: Current status and prospects
- Maria, J. P., Kang, X. Y., Floyd, R. D., Dickey, E. C., Guo, H. Z., Guo, J., … Randall, C. A. (2017), Journal of Materials Research. https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.2017.262
- Defect mechanisms of coloration in Fe-doped SrTiO3 from first principles
- Baker, J. N., Bowes, P. C., Long, D. M., Moballegh, A., Harris, J. S., Dickey, E. C., & Irving, D. L. (2017), Applied Physics Letters, 110(12).
- Guest editors' preface
- Dickey, E. C., Pawlak, D. A., Berger, M. H., Merino, R. I., & Sayir, A. (2017), Journal of Materials Science, 52(10), 5475–5476.
- Impact of intrinsic point defect concentration on thermal transport in titanium dioxide
- Donovan, B. F., Long, D. M., Moballegh, A., Creange, N., Dickey, E. C., & Hopkins, P. E. (2017), Acta Materialia, 127, 491–497.
- Indentation-induced deformation mechanisms in laser-processed directionally solidified WC-W2C eutectoids
- Chen, W. T., & Dickey, E. C. (2017), Journal of Materials Science, 52(10), 5511–5519.