Distinguished Research Professor
- Engineering Building I (EB1) 3072A
Jerry Cuomo has been at NCSU since 1993, during which time he has demonstrated a commitment to uniting abstract engineering research with practical application. This is evident in his earlier work with CAMP-M, which focused on the application of plasmas processes.
Cuomo joined NCSU in 1993 after 30 years with IBM’s T.J. Watson Research Center, where he was Senior Manager of the Materials Processing Laboratory. While there, he developed innovations in materials synthesis and processes that enabled diverse technologies that include electron emission cathodes, tungsten films, ion beam technologies, amorphous magnetic materials and amorphous hydrogenated silicon. He has published >350 papers and has approximately 125 patents. Cuomo is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and a recipient of the 1995 National Medal of Technology.
Dr. Cuomo’s research interests include Aging Aircraft Issues, Agile Manufacturing, Material Problem Solving Methodology, Depainting, Composite Materials, Renewable Energy, Plasma Processes, including Atmospheric Plasmas, Tribological Coatings, Basic studies in Thin Film Materials and Processes and their Industrial Applications.
Odense Universitet, Denmark
St. Johns University
- Activating the Growth of High Surface Area Alumina Using a Liquid Galinstan Alloy
- Zoellner, B., Hou, F., Carbone, A., Kiether, W., Markham, K., Cuomo, J., & Maggard, P. A. (2018), ACS OMEGA, 3(12), 16409–16415. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.8b02442
- Oxygen reduction on metal-free nitrogen-doped carbon nanowall electrodes
- McClure, J. P., Thornton, J. D., Jiang, R. Z., Chu, D., Cuomo, J. J., & Fedkiw, P. S. (2012), Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 159(11), F733–742.
- Ion beam pretreatment of polymeric substrates for ITO thin film deposition
- Cho, J. S., Han, Y., & Cuomo, J. J. (2008), Solid State Sciences, 10(7), 941–949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solidstatesciences.2007.11.010
- Microstructure, mechanical properties, and biological response to functionally graded HA coatings
- Rabiei, A., Blalock, T., Thomas, B., Cuomo, J., Yang, Y., & Ong, J. (2007), Materials Science & Engineering. C, Biomimetic Materials, Sensors and Systems, 27(3), 529–533.
- A novel technique for processing functionally graded HA coatings
- Rabiei, A., Thomas, B., Neville, B., Lee, J. W., & Cuomo, J. (2007), Materials Science & Engineering. C, Biomimetic Materials, Sensors and Systems, 27(3), 523–528.
- A study on functionally graded HA coatings processed using ion beam assisted deposition with in situ heat treatment
- Rabiei, A., Thomas, B., Jin, C., Narayan, R., Cuomo, J., Yang, Y., & Ong, J. L. (2006), Surface & Coatings Technology, 200(20-21), 6111–6116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2005.09.027
- Aluminum nitride thin films on an LTCC substrate
- Lee, J. W., Cuomo, J. J., Cho, Y. S., & Keusseyan, R. L. (2005), Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 88(7), 1977–1980. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1551-2916.2005.00250.x
- MIIIN based materials and methods and apparatus for producing same
- Cuomo, J. J., Williams, N. M., Hanser, A. D., Carlson, E. P., & Thomas, D. T. (2004, August). , .
- Method and apparatus for producing MIIIN columns and MIIIN materials grown thereon
- Cuomo, J. J., Williams, N. M., Hanser, A. D., Carlson, E. P., & Thomas, D. T. (2004). , .
- Non-thermionic sputter material transport device, methods of use, and materials produced thereby
- Cuomo, J. J., & Williams, N. M. (2004, September). , .