- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Partners II, Room 1515 Suite 1525
- Website: https://www.mse.ncsu.edu/amassian/
Dr. Amassian is a materials scientist and engineer who has co-authored more than 210 publications in peer-reviewed journals and has delivered over 130 invited and keynote lectures. His research is in the area of energy materials, with an emphasis on energy harvesting materials and devices, such as organic photovoltaics, metal halide perovskite photovoltaics, and colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics. His group investigates the solution processing of semiconductor materials using lab-scale and fab-scale methods and develops advanced in situ characterization methods to gain insight into the non-equilibrium solidification and phase transformation of materials from solution to solid. Dr. Amassian’s work has received >20,000 citations and an h-index of 73 (Google Scholar). He was named a Highly Cited Author on Web of Science in 2020 and was inducted as a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry. He was previously awarded the Career Development SABIC Chair for his pioneering work on solution-processed optoelectronic materials and is the recipient of the American Vacuum Society’s Electronic Materials Postdoctoral, the NSERC (Canada) Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Dr. Amassian obtained his B.Eng. (2001) and Ph.D. (2006) in Engineering Physics from Polytech Montreal in Canada, and he completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Materials Science and Engineering at Cornell University with George Malliaras. Amassian was appointed Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in 2009 at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), where he was one of 75 faculty at the founding of the university. He joined NCSU in 2018 as Associate Professor and was recently appointed Professor (2021).
He is a pioneer in advanced characterization during solution-processing of organic and hybrid semiconductor materials used in electronics and photovoltaics and is best known for introducing in situ x-ray and optical diagnostics during spin-coating and meniscus-guided processes, such as blade coating. His research now develops and utilizes robotics in combination with characterization and artificial intelligence to establish formulation-process-structure-property relationships in an organic, quantum dot, and metal-halide hybrid perovskite semiconductor materials and devices with a primary focus on stability, efficiency, and scalable and eco-friendly manufacturability. His work has been highly interdisciplinary and collaborative, at the intersection of materials science, chemistry, and physics, as well as material, chemical, electrical and industrial engineering. His publication and funding track records reflect the transdisciplinary, collaborative, and international DNA of his collaborations.
Dr. Amassian is the co-founder of AWOS Technologies and co-founder and Chief Technology Officer of Bay Nano Technologies, which was awarded the eGames Daugherty Endowment.
- A multiscale ion diffusion framework sheds light on the diffusion-stability-hysteresis nexus in metal halide perovskites
- Ghasemi, M., Guo, B., Darabi, K., Wang, T., Wang, K., Huang, C.-W., … Amassian, A. (2023, February 27), NATURE MATERIALS. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41563-023-01488-2
- Hybrid magnonics in hybrid perovskite antiferromagnets
- Comstock, A. H., Chou, C.-T., Wang, Z., Wang, T., Song, R., Sklenar, J., … Sun, D. (2023), NATURE COMMUNICATIONS, 14(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-37505-w
- A Universal Cosolvent Evaporation Strategy Enables Direct Printing of Perovskite Single Crystals for Optoelectronic Device Applications
- Corzo, D., Wang, T., Gedda, M., Yengel, E., Khan, J. I., Li, R., … Amassian, A. (2022), Advanced Materials, 34(9), 2109862. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.202109862
- A universal co-solvent dilution strategy enables facile and cost-effective fabrication of perovskite photovoltaics
- Zhang, H., Darabi, K., Nia, N. Y., Krishna, A., Ahlawat, P., Guo, B., … Grätzel, M. (2022), Nature Communications, 13(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-27740-4
- Cavity Engineering of Perovskite Distributed Feedback Lasers
- Dong, Q., Fu, X., Seyitliyev, D., Darabi, K., Mendes, J., Lei, L., … So, F. (2022), ACS Photonics, 9(9), 3124–3133. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.2c00917
- Colloidal nanostructures control the formation and orientation of quantum wells in layered hybrid perovskites (Conference Presentation)
- Darabi, K., Seyitliyev, D., Guo, B., Bateni, F., Wang, T., Ghasemi, M., … Amassian, A. (2022), In T.-W. Lee, F. So, & C. Adachi (Eds.), Organic and Hybrid Light Emitting Materials and Devices XXVI. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2633675
- Conjugated polymers with controllable interfacial order and energetics enable tunable heterojunctions in organic and colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics
- Zhong, Y., Kirmani, A. R., Lan, X., Carpenter, J., Rong-Hui Chew, A., Awartani, O., … Amassian, A. (2022), Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 10(4), 1788–1801. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1TA09544G
- Multi-scale ordering of PEDOT and PSS in the presence of ionic salts enables water-stable 2D/3D printable conductors and devices (Conference Presentation)
- Taussig, L., Ghasemi, M., Han, S., Proksch, T., Li, R., Gomez, E., … Amassian, A. (2022), In O. D. Jurchescu & I. McCulloch (Eds.), Organic and Hybrid Field-Effect Transistors XXI. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2633568
- Quantitative multiscale diffusion framework for metal halide perovskites
- Ghasemi, M., Guo, B., Huang, C.-W., Baucom, G., Darabi, K., Taussig, L., … Amassian, A. (2022), In G. Li, T.-Q. Nguyen, A. F. Nogueira, B. P. Rand, E. Moons, & N. Stingelin (Eds.), Organic, Hybrid, and Perovskite Photovoltaics XXIII. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2633471
- Versatile methods for improving the mechanical properties of fullerene and non-fullerene bulk heterojunction layers to enable stretchable organic solar cells
- Dauzon, E., Sallenave, X., Plesse, C., Goubard, F., Amassian, A., & Anthopoulos, T. D. (2022), Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 10(9), 3375–3386. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1TC05263B