Professor Augustyn Receives Ralph E Powe Junior Faculty Award
May 11th, 2016
Dr. Veronica Augustyn, from the Department of Materials Science & Engineering at NC State has won the a 2016 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award! Augustyn is one of 35 nationwide recipients of the award. The Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Awards provide funding for research by junior faculty at Oak Ridge Associated Universities. These awards enrich the research and professional growth of young faculty and result in new funding opportunities. The award amount provided by Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) is $5,000. North Carolina State University, as a member of ORAU, is required to match that award with at least an additional $5,000.
Augustyn plans to use the award to study the electrochemical interface of metal oxides in contact with aqueous electrolytes. Specifically, the research will involve the synthesis of redox-active metal oxide nanosheets which will be deposited on conductive and flat substrates .such as glassy carbon. These electrodes will be studied ideal for probing electrochemical interfaces with in situ Raman spectroscopy under electrochemical bias., and then further probed withIn addition, in situ scanning probe microscopy will be performed in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Lab's Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS). The successful outcome of this research will lead to better understanding of interfacial mechanisms in metal oxides used in contact with aqueous electrolytes for aqueous-based electrochemical energy storage. Such materials are attractive for low-cost, large-scale energy storage for sustainable power grid applications.
Other Recent News
- Narayan to serve on NAI Fellows Advisory Committee 10.9.2017
- Nurturing the nanotech maker in us all 9.19.2017
- MSE Wins Multiple Awards and Provides Leadership at Microscopy and Microanalysis 2017 8.14.2017
- High-Temperature Superconductivity in B-doped Q-Carbon 7.24.2017
- IRES Students Gain Research experience in Denmark 7.21.2017
- MSE Graduate Student Wins MRS Poster Award 5.23.2017
- ‘Persistent Photoconductivity’ Offers New Tool for Bioelectronics 5.3.2017
- Eman Alhajji accepted into NAE Grand Challenge Scholars Program 5.2.2017
- MSE Undergrad and Grad Named Recipients of NSF’s Graduate Research Fellowship 4.28.2017
- Silicon Valley Favors NC State Alumni 4.27.2017