MSE researchers win the 2012 and 2013 Van Duzer Prizes, awarded at the 2014 Applied Superconductivity Conference
August 26th, 2014
The Van Duzer Prize is awarded by the IEEE Council on Superconductivity to the best contributed paper published in the IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity during each volume year. The prize is named in honor of Professor Theodore Van Duzer, founding Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity. The prizes for 2012 and 2013 were awarded publicly at an award ceremony held at the 2014 Applied Superconductivity Conference, the largest international conference in applied superconductivity.
For 2012, the prize was awarded to Dr. Wan Kan Chan, MSE Research Associate, and Professor Justin Schwartz, Kobe Steel Distinguished Professor and MSE Department Head, for "A hierarchical, three-dimensional, multiscale electro-magneto-thermal model of quenching in REBa2Cu3O7-δ coated conductor based coils," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 22(5) 4706010 (10pp) (2012).
For 2013, the prize was awarded to a team that includes MSE, colleagues in Electrical and Computer Engineering, and an industrial collaborator. NCSU co-authors include Dr. Sasha Ishmael, MSE post-doc, Haojun Luo, ECE PhD student, Professor Frank Hunte, MSE Assistant Professor, Dr. X. T. Liu, MSE post-doc, Professor John F. Muth, ECE faculty, Golsa Naderi and Liyang Ye, MSE PhD students, and Professor Justin Schwartz. Co-authors from nGimat (Lexington, KY), include Dr. Marvis White, Dr. Natalia Mandzy and Dr. Andrew T. Hunt, The winning paper is "Enhanced Quench Propagation in Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox and YBa2Cu3O7-x Coils via a NanoscaleDoped-Titania-Based Thermally Conducting Electrical Insulator" IEEE Trans. Appl. Superconductivity, vol. 23, no. 5, October 2013, 7201311.
Other Recent News
- Narayan to serve on NAI Fellows Advisory Committee 10.9.2017
- Nurturing the nanotech maker in us all 9.19.2017
- MSE Wins Multiple Awards and Provides Leadership at Microscopy and Microanalysis 2017 8.14.2017
- High-Temperature Superconductivity in B-doped Q-Carbon 7.24.2017
- IRES Students Gain Research experience in Denmark 7.21.2017
- MSE Graduate Student Wins MRS Poster Award 5.23.2017
- ‘Persistent Photoconductivity’ Offers New Tool for Bioelectronics 5.3.2017
- Eman Alhajji accepted into NAE Grand Challenge Scholars Program 5.2.2017
- MSE Undergrad and Grad Named Recipients of NSF’s Graduate Research Fellowship 4.28.2017
- Silicon Valley Favors NC State Alumni 4.27.2017