The LeBeau Group Åbsölutely Quantitative
As scaling continues to be a major drive of research, future developments rely upon electron microscopy to probe the nature of material properties. In the nano-regime, one must explore local atomic structure, chemical composition, and bonding with ultimate spatial resolution. Now that aberration corrected microscopes have blown past the Ångström in resolution, a new level of clarity is available for exploring next-generation materials.
- Application of aberration-corrected electron microscopy
- Understanding material properties from the atomic structure
- Reconstruction at the interface between dissimilar materials
- Quantitative atomic resolution microscopy imaging and diffraction
- Three dimensional imaging of materials
- Image processing and analysis techniques
- July 28, 2016 Houston Dycus has won a best poster award at Microscopy and Microanalysis 2016. View the paper here.
- May 3, 2016 Houston Dycus’s paper, “Accurate Nanoscale Crystallography in Real-Space Using Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy” has been awarded the Microscopy & Microanalysis Best Paper of 2015 in the Materials Applications category. View the paper here.
- March 25, 2016 Matt Cabral has been awarded a Distinguished Scholar Award from the Microanalysis Society for his work on relaxor ferroelectric materials. He will be presenting his work at M&M 2016 in Columbus, OH.
The LeBeau research group in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering at North Carolina State University is seeking a postdoctoral research associate to start December 2015. The post-doc will be responsible for the development of quantitative imaging and spectroscopy at the atomic scale using aberration corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy. Studies will include a wide range of materials, for example functional oxide-nitride interfaces and state-of-the-art alloys. These efforts will account for 70% of the post-doc’s responsibilities.The remaining 30% of the post-docs responsibilities will be to oversee training of students/researchers and research collaborations on the Titan microscope. The post-doc will train users to operate the microscopy safely and independently, will help develop facility policies for user training and oversight, and will perform periodic service work for internal and external clients. The post-doc will also contribute to developing the internal and external user bases by presenting highlights of research on the websites and throughout campus, by providing tours to potential users, and by giving presentations at national and international meetings.
NCSU has an aberration corrected microscope for ultra-high resolution STEM imaging and chemical analysis. Other equipment includes a JEOL 2010 STEM/TEM, several conventional TEMs, and a FIB. The position requires a Ph. D. in materials science or a related field. Experience with aberration corrected STEM is desired. Duration is between 1-3 years and salary is commensurate with qualifications.
Interested candidates should apply online here:
AA/EEO. In addition, NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation.
- Highly tensile-strained Ge/InAlAs nanocomposites. Nat. Commun., 8:1-7 (2017) .
- Quantitative atomic resolution elemental mapping via absolute-scale energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Ultramicroscopy, 168:7-16 (2016) .
- Influence of experimental conditions on atom column visibility in energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Ultramicroscopy, 171:1-7 (2016) .
- Structural Changes Underlying Field-Cycling Phenomena in Ferroelectric HfO 2 Thin Films. Adv. Electron. Mater., 2:1600173 (2016) .
- Unleashing Strain Induced Ferroelectricity in Complex Oxide Thin Films via Precise Stoichiometry Control. Adv. Funct. Mater., 26:7271-7279 (2016) .
- Structure and chemistry of passivated SiC/SiO2 interfaces. Appl. Phys. Lett., 108:201607 (2016) .
- Competing Pathways for Nucleation of the Double Perovskite Structure in the Epitaxial Synthesis of La 2 MnNiO 6. Chem. Mater., 28:3814-3822 (2016) .
- In-situ real-space imaging of single crystal surface reconstructions via electron microscopy. Appl. Phys. Lett., 109:201601 (2016) .