MSE Spotlights Accomplished Senior Leah Bellcase

Leah Bellcase is a fourth-year undergraduate senior majoring in materials science and engineering. 

Tell us what drew you to MSE. Did you initially have a different path in mind or was MSE your first pick?

I originally came to NC State intending to do engineering, but I was still trying to find the type of engineering that was most interesting to me and what I wanted to make a career out of. During the first-year engineering program I was introduced to materials science & engineering, I had never even heard of it before coming to college. I found it to be an intriguing subject, learning about how the atomic structure of materials, mechanical properties, material performance, and processing all relate to each other. There are many interconnected layers to materials science relating to physics and chemistry. I quickly fell in love with the major after taking my first MSE class. There are so many applications of materials science that I had never even thought of, from the materials we use in daily life to the next up-and-coming technologies.

Describe your time in MSE. Include favorite projects, classes, professors, and advisors.

One reason I love MSE is the comradery feeling among my classmates and me. We have all been together through classes, labs, and group projects. We have learned to lift each other up and work together. Some of my favorite subjects included the Structure of Materials at the Nanoscale where we learn about atomic crystal structures, Thermodynamics where we learn about the driving forces of the universe and Microelectronic Materials where we learn about how semiconductors are used for the next generation of new technology. I have also had some amazing professors who are so knowledgeable in the field and also care deeply about their student’s understanding. I’d like to call out Academic Advisor Hillary Stone for her helping me during my time as a student. I’d like to thank Professor Douglas Irving, who is not only amazing as a person, but he always has time to stop in the hall and chitchat. And this was especially helpful while I was looking at grad school options. I’d also like to thank Professor Jacob Jones for pushing me to work hard and believing in me.

While at NC State, I have held leadership positions that include Director of Scholarship and Senior Member of the Standards Board for my sorority, Kappa Delta. Representing the College of Engineering I have been in the Society of Women Engineers, and representing MSE I have been a student ambassador. 

Describe how you anticipate incorporating MSE in your future. 

After graduation, I plan to work in the microelectronics industry designing and processing silicon wafers to create semiconductor devices for use in aerospace, defense, space, medical, energy, and communications industries. This future job requires a lot of knowledge that I have gained from my MSE classes. I look forward to applying all that I have learned about material defects, crystallography, semiconductors, electronic properties, and more. 

“There are so many applications of materials science that I had never even thought of, from the materials we use in daily life to the next up-and-coming technologies.” 

Leah Bellcase

Describe the accomplishment you are most proud of.

I am most proud of the research I have completed as an undergraduate researcher. I have been working with Dr. Jones and the other undergraduate/graduate students for the past year and a half. My research focuses on studying the kinetic and thermodynamic driving factors of solid-state reactions to make perovskite semiconductor materials. I have learned multiple analytical techniques including X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, differential thermal analysis, and thermal gravimetric analysis. I have been able to present our collaborative work at the Center for Dielectrics and Piezoelectrics spring 2022 conference as well the MSE Summer 2023 REU Fair. 

What is your favorite or the coolest thing about MSE?

Some of the coolest things about MSE are learning about why we use certain materials in our daily lives. One such fun fact is that we use graphite in pencils because of its crystal structure. The graphite structure consists of layered hexagons that can slide past each other, when writing with a pencil, these atomic layers get transferred to the paper. Different cooking dishes are made out of different materials depending on their purpose. Many metal appliances are used because they transfer heat easily while ceramic appliances are used because they hold heat well, all relating back to the thermal conductivity of materials. You can see materials science and engineering around you every day. 

Share a fun fact or your favorite memory at NC State.  

Some of my favorite memories from my time at NC State include going to football tailgates and games with my friends, study nights at Hunt library, eating meals at my sorority house with my Kappa Delta sisters, and spending nice days out by Lake Raleigh or Pullen Park. 

If you want to keep in touch with Leah after graduation, connect with her on LinkedIn.