Innovative MSE Senior Isabella DiCristofaro Thinks Outside The Beauty Box

Isabella ‘Bella’ DiCristofaro is a fourth-year undergraduate senior majoring in materials science and engineering. Bella is from Mooresville, North Carolina.

Bella at the NC State Belltower (by Mary Obiol)

Tell us what drew you to MSE. Did you initially have a different path in mind or was MSE your first pick?

When I came to NC State during my freshman year, I knew that engineering was something I was passionate about. I have always enjoyed math and science, so it only made sense that I continued down this path. It was during E 101 (Introduction to Engineering) that I learned about MSE. I had previously never heard about it. I looked at the courses included in the degree and I found them to be fascinating! I later attended the Taste of Engineering event where I was able to talk to current MSE students, and I knew right away that I wanted to join the program.

“I have always had a personal passion for skincare and cosmetics. I am pursuing a career in the cosmetic industry, specifically in R&D. I think this just goes to show that MSE is a major that can be applied to a lot of fields.”

Bella DiCristofaro

Describe your time in MSE. Include favorite projects, classes, professors, and advisors.

MSE has been a fascinating major because chemistry is the foundation of future courses. Building on my love of science, specifically chemistry, the best part of this major is the ability to participate in hands-on real-world lab experience in the lab courses. This helped me to connect what I was learning in the classroom to real-life examples. My favorite professor within the department has been Professor Douglas Irving, with whom I took thermodynamics. While the content was difficult, I loved the way he teaches, and his personality makes that class really enjoyable. Currently, I am finishing up my senior design project which has taught me a lot about the vast applications that materials science can have in the real world and in industry. While my project is technically a materials science project, our work is heavily focused on the mechanical engineering field. 

Describe how you anticipate incorporating MSE in your future. 

I have always had a personal passion for skincare and cosmetics, so after graduation, I am pursuing careers within the cosmetic industry— specifically in research & development (R&D). I think this just goes to show that MSE is a major that can be applied to a lot of fields. An example of this is the internship I was about to do last summer with Bath & Body Works, specifically within the R&D team working for home fragrance. I was able to apply my MSE skills firsthand by working in the lab, performing thermal testing, and analysis on tangible products. 

Describe the accomplishment you are most proud of.

I am most proud of my involvement within the Society of Women Engineers here at NC State. I have been a member of this organization since my freshman year and I now serve as Vice President of an organization with over 160 active members. This position has not only given me the opportunity to network with professionals, attend conferences, and enhance my public speaking skills, but also meet some really awesome women here at NC State across various engineering majors. This leadership position has been the best opportunity I have had at NC State, and I am extremely proud of my work and dedication I have had towards this organization and my SWEsters. 

What is your favorite or the coolest thing about MSE?

The smaller class size is awesome. I truly know everyone in the major, not just on a first-name basis but on a personal level. My peers have become some of my best friends, and I love being able to walk into my classes and sit next to anyone and be able to chat with them. We have built a great community within the department and feel very supported by everyone within. 

Share a fun fact or your favorite memory at NC State.  

SWE ^^ dedicated to it!! 

Thanks so much for your time! If someone wants to stay in touch, how can they reach you?

You’re so welcome! Thank you for your time, and if anyone wants to reach me after graduation, they can feel free to reach out by email, idicris@ncsu.edu.